Roasted Golden Beet Salad with Grapefruit, Pearl Couscous, Mint and a Honey-Lemon VinaigretteRETURN TO RECIPES
SERVES 4 - 6
Winter citrus season is upon us! Enjoy sectioned grapefruit in this roasted golden beet salad mixed with pearl couscous, feta, and fresh mint leaves. The sweet-tart, honey-lemon vinaigrette ties all of the bright flavors together perfectly.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Prepare the beets by peeling, then dicing into 1/2-inch cubes. Toss the diced beets with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt, and a healthy grind of pepper. Place the prepared beets in a single layer on a large roasting pan and roast for 15 minutes. Stir and continue roasting the beets for another 10-15 minutes, or until the beets are fork tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare the couscous. In a small saucepan, coat the pearl couscous in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and toast until fragrant, about two minutes. Then cook according to the package's instructions.
- While the couscous cooks, supreme the grapefruit by cutting away the outer peel of the grapefruit, then cutting each section away from the pith with a sharp paring knife inserted on either side of each section.
- Dice the feta into 1/2-inch pieces. Chop the mint leaves into thin strips, or leave whole if the leaves are tiny.
- In a small jar, whisk the vinaigrette ingredients together until combined.
- Once the beets and couscous are prepared, toss together with the vinaigrette. Carefully mix in the sectioned grapefruit pieces, feta, and garnish with mint.
- Serve as a side dish with your desired meat or fish dish.
- 3 golden beets, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup pearl couscous
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (for couscous)
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and supremed to remove pith
- 10-20 mint leaves, chopped in strips (or if tiny, leave whole)
- 4 ounces feta, cubed
Honey-Lemon Vinaigrette Dressing Ingredients:
- 1 zest and juice of one small lemon (about 2 tablespoons of juice)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste